Q: How do I prepare for my fleet of electric vehicles?
AmpUp has a helpful blog post on how to prepare your company for an EV fleet:
An EV fleet is a growing trend for businesses and, in some cases, a requirement to maintain a competitive edge. As a business owner, you’ll need to understand the benefits and obstacles of going electric before you make a decision.
- Determine how simple or complex of an electric vehicle fleet you need to stand up. Most fleets are piloting their first few electric vehicles and charging management solutions before ramping up. As an emerging service in the automotive space, a simple charging management deployment can give your team insights and learnings to guide your growth. Check out AmpUp’s EV Charging Playbook to see what electrical and infrastructure considerations are needed for your fleet charging location.
- Choose an EV charging management solution that best fits your immediate goals. A comprehensive assessment of your vehicle activity and dwell times can help you find a solution that matches your operations. A light-duty fleet with long overnight dwell times has drastically different charging needs than a heavy-duty fleet needing fast charging. Fleet owners should be asking themselves:
- Does the provider support vehicle-to-grid (V2G) services?
- Do you need charging integration (API) into existing vehicle monitoring and routing tools?
- Is the solution compliant with Open Charge Point Protocol (OCPP) for future choice and flexibility?
- Consider government and utility fleet incentives. Utilities and state governments have awarded millions of dollars in EV fleet grants to kickstart the electric mobility transition. With the much-anticipated Infrastructure Bill on the way, many more funding opportunities are on the horizon. Find an incentive program that can help offset project costs while supporting your mission of going electric.