In order to charge easily with AmpUp stations, first connect your preferred payment method in the mobile driver app (iOS or Android) by creating an account and navigating to Settings >Payments & RFID > Add Payment Method.
Next you have the choice, choose between adding money to your AmpUp wallet our Paying as you Go
- Add money to your AmpUp Wallet
To add money to your account, go to Settings > Payments & RFID > Reload. Here you can choose to add an amount that works best for your charging habits. If you are a frequent charger at AmpUp stations, add the amount that will cover a couple weeks worth of charging, there is a minimum amount set at $15. We will remind you as your balance gets low to reload your wallet to make sure you always have enough funds. If the balance of your wallet is ever less than the amount of your charging session, the total charging session will be charged to your credit card.
This method will help you avoid a large accumulation of authorization holds and to help you save on processing fees.
- Pay as you go
No setup necessary for this method, when you start a charging session using the AmpUp app, a temporary authorization hold of $10 will be placed on your payment card. This hold ensures that sufficient funds are available to cover the charging session. It's important to note that this hold is not an actual charge but a temporary reservation of funds.
Once you complete your charging session, the temporary authorization hold will be released. However, the duration for the hold to clear from your card depends on your card issuer's policies and may take a few business days. Rest assured that the $10 hold will be lifted, and you will not be charged for it.
Upon unplugging your vehicle, you will be charged for the specific charging session you completed. The pricing for charging sessions is set by the site hosts where you charged your vehicle with the addition of a network and processing fee. The payment will be processed using the payment card you have registered within the AmpUp app, ensuring a convenient and cashless transaction.
On the “Payments & RFID” page in the app (accessible from the app’s Settings page) you can update your preferred payment method. You can click the History icon at the bottom of the page to view all of your previous charging history and payments.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- I had money in my wallet, why was my credit card charged?
- If your wallet balance does not have enough money to cover the entire charging session, we charge the entire balance to your credit card. We do give you a heads up to ensure that your balance never runs too low.
- Why do I have to add money to my account if I don’t want to use the wallet?
- If you haven’t charged with AmpUp in a while, you may still have a negative balance on your account. To view your balance, navigate to Settings > Payments & RFID if your balance shows a negative amount, you have to press the reload button and add at least the amount that is currently on your account. After that, you’ll be able to choose which payment method you want to use going forward.
- Why was I charged an additional processing fee?
- For pay as you go payments, we are charged high processing fees by our payment provider and this additional fee ensures that we can continue providing the best charging experience around.
- Why do I have a $10 hold on my account?
- By choosing the pay as you go method, we have to ensure that your payment method is authorized for the average dollar amount of the charging sessions on our network. This hold is released immediately after the charging session has ended and has been paid for but will take a few days to clear from your bank account depending on your bank.